Am I eligible for a New Zealand Student Visa?
To be eligible for a visa to study in New Zealand you will need to meet the following criteria for international students:
Offer of a place
- You must have already received notification of your acceptance into a full-time course at a New Zealand education institution.
- The New Zealand education provider must be registered with the Government to offer courses to overseas students.
- You must meet the health and character requirements of New Zealand Immigration.
- You must provide evidence of funds to support yourself, pay for your course fees, living expenses and air tickets etc (NZ$10,000 per year approximately).
- You must provide proof that you plan to leave New Zealand once your course of study is completed, for example travel tickets out of NZ or enough money to purchase them;
- You must have a passport that is valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay.
To get a New Zealand Student Visa
you need to have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider. This offer must include:
- the name of the course and the minimum time required for completing it;
- proof that the course and course provider meet New Zealand's requirements for international students;
- the cost of the complete course, or if the course is longer than one year, the annual fee;
- whether you have to pay course fees and whether the fees are domestic or international fees;
- whether you will be studying full-time or part-time.
Evidence of funds to support yourself
To gain a New Zealand Student Permit you need to show that you are able to meet your living costs during your stay in New Zealand. Evidence of funds may be in the form of cash, travellers' cheques, bank drafts, or a recognised credit card with enough credit. Evidence can include:
Student Visa requirements
- money held in New Zealand by you, or on your behalf,
- an undertaking by another person to cover your accommodation and living costs (you need to give this evidence before you leave for New Zealand),
- an undertaking by a New Zealand sponsor to cover your accommodation and living costs, or
- financial assistance available to you under aid programmes operated in New Zealand by a government agency.
During your stay in New Zealand, you will have to abide by the following requirements of your student visa or your visa may be revoked:
- You must attend the place of study indicated in your permit. However, you can apply to us to change your course or institution.
- If you are accompanied by a guardian, you must live with that person.
- You must be able to show that you are passing your course.
- You can only undertake work allowed by your student permit.
- You must obey New Zealand's laws.
- You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.
Apply for a New Zealand Student Visa today.