Cutoff Age Now 35 for Australians On IEC Canada Visa

girl in Canada

The cutoff age for Australians applying for the International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit is now 35, compared to 30 previously. The change also works both ways with Canadians now allowed to travel to Australia under the International Experience Canada programme up to the age of 35.

The move was welcomed by Whistler Chamber CEO Melissa Pace who said that highering the age limit from 30 to 35 would help fill the gap in middle management in roles taken up under the programme.

There are 3 categories open to participants under the IEC programme, including Working Holiday permits, International Co-op for students looking to gain targeted experience in their field of study, and Young Professionals.

Australia is a major source of participants in IEC, with locations in Western Canada particularly popular among the Aussie contingent, especially winter resort destinations such as Whistler, BC and Banff, AB.

More than 200,000 Canadians have taken advantage of the work and travel experiences offered through the International Experience Canada program and many return to Canada with life-changing experiences valuable to both their personal and professional lives.

Canada doesn’t cap the number of Australian participants in the IEC and is one of 34 countries whose residents can participate.

If you are a citizen of one of the 34 participating countries, you can typically travel and work in Canada under the IEC programme if you meet the age restrictions. For some countries this is 18-30 and for others, this is 18-35.

To take part in the International Experience Canada (IEC), you should also: 

  • Preferably have no criminal record
  • Own a valid passport for the period of your stay
  • You should have enough money to support yourself on arrival in Canada while you are looking for a job

Each year they agree on a quota of visas with each country that holds a working holiday agreement with Canada. The visa itself permits you to work, live and travel in Canada for 12 months (more for certain countries).

If you are interested in applying for a working holiday visa to Canada or Australia, you can apply directly with us at Visa First.

To find out more about this programme, contact one of our friendly advisors or apply online today!