New Zealand Working Holiday Visa – the Complete Guide
New Zealand has signed working holiday agreements with many countries and that is why so many young people are heading to New Zealand to spend a year or two working and discovering the Kiwi’s country and culture. If you also want to join them, have a look at the information we’ve summarized for you.
The great thing about the New Zealand Working Holiday visa is that it lets you work temporarily during your stay in the country. So, you can work and travel for up to 12 months or up to 23 months if you are a British passport holder and up to 6 months if you are from Austria, Malaysia or Singapore.
You should be 18-30 years of age, but if you are from a few selected countries, you may also qualify if you are 18-35. Another requirement for the visa is to have a return ticket or sufficient amount for the return flight. You may apply for a New Zealand Working Holiday visa if you are from one of the following countries:
During the validity of this visa, you can leave and re-enter the country for as many times as you wish.
The processing of this visa is really straight forward. It takes us just 48 hours or 2 working days to organize the visa for you. In a small number of cases, you might be requested a further verification of personal details which might slightly delay your visa. But if this happens, we will notify you what’s further required by the New Zealand Immigration authorities so that we get the visa as soon as possible.
Generally, you don’t need to prove sufficient funds for this visa, but at the port of entry, you might be required to show evidence of funds for your stay in the country plus a return ticket or funds to purchase one. The amounts required may vary depending on your home country:
– NZ$ 4,200 for citizens from Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Japan, Korea, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Uruguay and USA
– Citizens of Peru might be required to provide evidence of NZ$ 4,200 living costs if they can produce evidence of an IELTS level 5 or over in speaking and in one of the other three skills areas OR NZ$7,000 if they don’t meet the English language requirement above.
– NZ$350 per month of your stay in New Zealand if you are a British passport holder.
– NZ$2250 available funds for the full period of stay in New Zealand if you are a citizen of Austria, Malaysia and Singapore
– NZ$7000 available funds for the full period of stay in New Zealand if you are from Thailand and Turkey.
Job Opportunities in New Zealand
If you prefer to have a job secured before you leave home, you can contact us to start your job search process now. There are no restrictions on the type of work you get in New Zealand – it just needs to be temporary and not your primary intention.
Depending on your occupation you might be required to have a registration or licensing in order to practise it.
The duration of working in the country under the Working Holiday visa depends on your country of origin. If you come from one of the listed countries below, you are allowed to work for no more than 3 months with one and the same employer:
Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey
If you are from Chile and Spain, you might be eligible to work for up to 6 months with each employer, while the UK passport holders might work for a period up to 12 months.
You need to get a New Zealand IRD number in order to work in New Zealand and pay the normal rate of 29%. If you start working without this number, you will need to pay tax at an emergency rate of 48%. VisaFirst can send you an NZ Taxsaver pack with a step-by-step guide for getting an IRD number.
We offer Kickstart Arrival pack that includes Airport shuttle bus transfer to your first accommodation; Accommodation and breakfast for two nights at Auckland hostel. You can choose between a night in a 4-bed room, a single bed in a 2-bed room or a double room.