Studying Abroad – A Complete Guide

Studying abroad is a life-changing experience and probably one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself.

Top 6 Reasons to Choose Studying Abroad?

  1. It’s an opportunity to get to know other cultures.
  2. It’s an opportunity to travel a lot.
  3. It’s an opportunity to better learn a language.
  4. It’s an opportunity to gain life experience.
  5. It’s an opportunity to learn more about yourself and to widen your horizon.
  6. It’s an opportunity to develop valuable career skills.

How to prepare for studying abroad?

You need to start with the first and maybe the most important step: choosing the right study abroad program! You’ll need to pick the country and the city you want to study in. Then you need to pass the required tests to enrol there. Once you get enrolled, you need to ask for an official admission letter, which you’ll need for your visa.

Once you’ve done this, you need to prepare yourself for your destination country. Make a bucket list with at least 10 things you need to do before leaving your city, read information about the city, the weather, any social and sports clubs, libraries, restaurants, cinemas etc.

Student Visas

Once you have the enrolment letter in your hands, you can think of the appropriate visa you’ll need. Contact VisaFirst to get a free assessment fast and hassle-free.

Australian Student visa

Australia is a key destination for international students. The country is the third most popular destination after the US and the UK. Australia receives 20 times more international students than the number of Australian students who choose to study abroad.

The Australian study visa allows you to study full time and to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week. You need to be enrolled in an institution that is registered with the Australian government.

You can enter Australia one month before the course starts and you also have one month to leave the country after your course ends. You can bring your spouse and/or dependent children on your student visa and they have the same rights as yourself.

There’s no age limit to apply for this visa. You need to prove you have at least AU$ 18,610 per year in order to sustain yourself in Australia.

New Zealand Student Visa

Victoria University of Wellington

If you come to study in New Zealand for more than three months, you need a Student visa. There’s no age limit but similarly to the Australian student visa, you need to have a letter of enrolment from an approved education/course provider. Your student visa will only be valid for the duration of your course in New Zealand and will expire after your curse/tuition finishes.

You need to support yourself financially. For courses shorter than 36 months, the amount required is NZ$1,250 per month of study; for programs longer than 36 months, the required amount is NZ$15,000 for each year of study.

You can bring your family and dependent children but they need to enter New Zealand on a separate visa. You can usually work part-time on your New Zealand student visa.

Canada Student visa

With more than 150,000 international students going to Canada every year to study, Canada is in the top 5 countries preferred for studying abroad. Tuition fees and living costs are the lowest in the world; also you can gain valuable Canadian work experience through off-campus employment and thus easily switch to a work visa while over there.

Canada is known to have one of the top-notch higher educational systems.

You don’t need a study permit if you plan to take a course or a program in Canada for less than six months. But if you plan to study for a longer period, you need to have an acceptance letter from an approved educational institution or course provider. You need to cover your tuition, living expenses and return tickets.

The approx. amount needed for a single student is CA$10,000 annually. You can work part-time on this visa on campus at the college or university you are registered as a student. But if you want to work off-campus, you should apply for this additionally and you need to meet certain criteria.

USA Student visa

The USA is the top destination for international students all over the world. Thousands of institutions are approved to accept foreign full-time students. You can even change schools and universities while on a student visa without leaving the country. There are two types of student visas:

– F1 visa is for academic students planning to attend a college or university, a seminary or high school, elementary school or institutions providing language or professional training etc.

– M1 visa is for vocational students who want to study non-academic or vocational studies in a college providing technical or vocational degrees, vocational high schools or trade schools of non-academic training.

Students can enter the US for the first time thirty days before their program starts.

F1 visa holders can stay up to 60 days after their program terminates but M1 visa holders have thirty days to leave after their tuition is over. Spouses and dependent children under 21 can accompany you on your US student visa but they will need derivative F-2 or M- 2 visas. Holders of F-2 and M-2 visas cannot work in the United States. If they want to work they should apply for the appropriate visa type.

UK Student visa

Cambridge King's College

The UK is the second most popular country among international students. The UK is recognized as having one of the world’s best colleges and universities.

In your course is shorter than six months you may instead enter the UK on a visitor visa however you will not be able to work on the visitor visa.

The UK student visa (Tier 4) allows you to study and work part-time. You will need an enrolment letter from an approved education provider. You can arrive in the UK prior to your course start.

You are also required to cover the living costs, which vary between GBP 820-GBP 1,020 per month depending on where you study – in inner London, outer London or anywhere else in the UK. You also need to pass biometrics as part of your visa application. Contact VisaFirst for more information.

Ireland Student visa

Ireland is quite a popular option for a foreign student with its nine universities, fourteen institutes of technology and other educational establishments. Studying in Ireland can give you an opportunity to travel to the Green Isle and acquire an excellent education.

In order to get an Irish Student visa, you need to have a letter or enrolment on a privately funded course involving at least 15 hours of daytime tuition a week.

You also need to prove immediate access to at least €7,000 which is the estimated cost of living in Ireland for a student for one academic year. You also need to prove access to such amount for each subsequent year of your studies. You need to show your intention to return to your home country after your course/program is over and your student visa expires.

 Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today.

If you found this information useful, please share 🙂


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *