Travel and Visa Bulletin – the Latest News from International Embassies

This bulletin was last updated on 3 September 2020.

Canada embassy updates

Canada – How to extend your Working Holiday POE Letter of Introduction

The Canadian government has announced travel restrictions that impact IEC participants – particularly those whose Point of Entry (POE) letter is expiring in the next 30 days and are currently unable to travel to Canada.

If your POE letter is expiring in the next 30 days, the good news is that you can request an extension.

You could now be eligible for an extension of your current POE letter for up to 12 months. The length of your extension will depend on whether:

  • you have already received an extension on your POE letter, and
  • if possible, your immigration medical examination on file can be reassessed and extended

Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of an immigration officer.

You must wait until 30 days before your POE letter expires to contact the IRCC.

Who can travel to Canada?

Anyone travelling to Canada for recreation, tourism or entertainment will not be admitted for the time being. At the moment your POE letter does not guarantee entry to Canada.

As of 8 May 2020, in order to enter the country, you must have both a valid POE letter and a valid job offer.

These measures apply to all three IEC categories including Working Holiday participants who come to work on an open permit and will remain in place until further notice. 

China – Who can apply for a visa?

China airport

The Chinese embassy in Ireland is now accepting visa applications from:

  • 1. Citizens from the 36 European countries who hold a valid Foreigner’s Residence Permit of China for private matters, work or family reunion.
  • 2. Applicants (including also spouse and children under 18 years old) who hold a “Verification Confirmation of Invitation” or “Invitation Letter (PU/TE)” issued by the Foreign Affairs Office of the provincial department of commerce or of the provincial government of the intended place of the visit, are allowed to travel to China for economic, trade, work, scientific, technological, sport or culture purposes.
  • 3. An applicant who wants to visit China for the following humanitarian purposes:

    *A: Visit a family member in China (including spouse, children, parents, grandchildren, grandparents) who is in critical medical condition and needs help and care or to organise funeral matters of an immediate family member in China.

    Each applicant will need photocopies of death or medical certificate, proof of relationships (including marriage certificate, birth certificate, Chinese household registration, notarial certificate of kinship, certificate letters from the local police bureau in China, etc) and an invitation letter from relatives in China. 

    **B: An applicant who is a child under 18 years old or a spouse of a Chinese citizen, or who has a valid Chinese Foreign Permanent Resident ID Card and wants to travel to China for a family reunion.

    Applicants must have photocopies of the Chinese Identity Card or the Chinese Foreign Permanent Resident ID card, an invitation letter and proof of relationships.

    ***C: An applicant (including an accompanying child under the age of 18 and a spouse) who wants to visit China to take care of Chinese parents. The same documents as those mentioned above are required.

  • 4. An applicant who qualifies for a Crew ( C ) visa.

Visa applications for other purposes will not be accepted for the time being.

COVID-19 testing

Starting from 7 September 2020, due to the increasing cases of COVID-19, non-Chinese and Chinese travellers whose final stop is China, must get a negative nucleic acid test report issued within 3 days before boarding. People with negative reports will get health codes (for Chinese nationals) or Health Declaration Forms (for non-Chinese nationals) for your check during or before boarding.

Chinese passengers applying for health codes

Chinese travellers must upload photos of their COVID-19 negative certificates to the WeChat mini program right after receiving negative certificates.

Once approved by the Embassy, the passenger will get green health codes with “HS” mark.

Non-Chinese passengers applying for Health Declaration Forms

Non-Chinese passengers must send scanned copies of their passports (personal information page), a signed Health Declaration Form as well as COVID-19 negative certificates to the following email address – The Embassy should send back a copy of the Health Declaration Form with a stamp by email.

All passengers are required to bring the original negative test certificate with them, printed stamped Health Declaration forms within the validity period.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *