The New Zealand student visa will allow you to study in Australia for a period of up to 4 years. Visa First successfully processes the applications of full-time students enrolled into educational courses in New Zealand. Contact us today and we will make sure your student visa is obtained fast and easy.
NZ Student Visa Requirements
- You must be accepted in a full-time educational course - at an approved and registered institution providing tuition to international students.
- You or your parents (sponsor, or sponsoring institution) must provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay, approximately NZ$10,000 per year.
- You must provide a proof that you plan to leave New Zealand after your studies are completed. A return ticket or funds to purchase one are often considered enough.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after your estimated studies completion.
- You must have a clean criminal record.
- You must not have been deported from or asked to leave any country.
- You must not pose a risk to the national security, public order and interest.
- You must not be in New Zealand illegally.
- The Immigration New Zealand must believe you won’t breach the conditions of your visa.
- You must be free of any serious long-term illness or incapacity. You will be required to have a medical and a X-ray certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an offer of a place/ confirmation of enrollment? What should it include?
To get a New Zealand Student Visa you need to have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider. This offer must include:
- the name of the course and the minimum time required for completing it;
- proof that the course and course provider meet New Zealand's requirements for international students;
- the cost of the complete course, or if the course is longer than one year, the annual fee;
- whether you have to pay course fees and whether the fees are domestic or international fees;
- whether you will be studying full-time or part-time.
Do I need an evidence of funds?
To gain a New Zealand Student Permit you need to show that you are able to meet your living costs during your stay in New Zealand. Evidence of funds may be in the form of cash, travellers' cheques, bank drafts, or a recognised credit card with enough credit. Evidence can include:
- money held in New Zealand by you, or on your behalf;
- an undertaking by another person to cover your accommodation and living costs (you need to give this evidence before you leave for New Zealand);
- an undertaking by a New Zealand sponsor to cover your accommodation and living costs;
- financial assistance available to you under aid programmes operated in New Zealand by a government agency.
What are the conditions of the visa?
During your stay in New Zealand, you will have to abide by the following requirements of your student visa or your visa may be revoked:
- You must attend the place of study indicated in your permit. However, you can apply to us to change your course or institution.
- If you are accompanied by a guardian, you must live with that person.
- You must be able to show that you are passing your course.
- You can only undertake work allowed by your student permit.
- You must obey New Zealand's laws.
- You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.
What is the visa duration?
Can/should parents, guardians, partners & dependents accompany me?
Generally, if you are under the age of 13, you will have to be accompanied by a parent, or a guardian – a person responsible for providing care. A special visitor visa will be issued to this person. Exclusion to this rule are students enrolled in a school hostel or a private training establishment approved by the Ministry of Education.
Partners or children of student visa holders are eligible for visitor visas, their own student visas, or a work visa for the duration of their partner’s tuition.
What if I study part-time?
Student visas are issued to full-time students. However, a tourist visa allows you to study in New Zealand:
- for up to 9 months;
- if your education provider is approved by NZ Qualifications Authority;
- you have a proof of paid tuition fees;
- you meet the visitor requirements.
Can I work on a student visa?
Student visa holders are eligible to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week. To have working rights, your education programme must meet one of the following requirements:
- Is no less than 2 years in duration.
- Graduating leads to a qualification that is eligible for a Skilled Migrant Visa.
- Is part of an approved international students exchange scheme.
- Main purpose of education is to develop English language skills.
- Is part of a New Zealand Aid Programme, providing scholarship to students under certain schemes.
- Full-time work is allowed only during scheduled vacations, and the summer vacation period.
Do I need medical insurance?
International students in New Zealand are required to have valid medical and travel insurance. Student visa holders are not eligible for publicly funded health care services. Australian and UK citizens are entitled to emergency and immediately necessary medical treatment only.
View the answer to more questions you may have - jump to the FAQs tab.
Are you a corporate visa organizer?
Our Website has been build with a thought for your specific needs such as group booking, online tracking of multiple applications and detailed purchase reports.
Our 1-2-3 Process
Secure Online Registration
Application with the Embassy
Log in to you account and monitor the progress of your application.
Get Your Visa by Mail
Get ready to travel with the time we saved you on application and Embassy procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a visa or permit to study in New Zealand?
Most overseas students need a visa or permit to study full-time in New Zealand. You only considered a domestic student who does not need a student visa or permit if one of the following applies to you:
- You are a New Zealand citizen
- You hold a New Zealand residence permit
- You are an Australian citizen
- You hold a current Australian permanent residence visa or a current Australian resident return visa
What is full-time study?
- attending a private training establishment (PTE) for at least 20 hours each week
- studying at least three papers, or the equivalent, each semester at a tertiary institution other than a PTE
- attending a primary, intermediate, or secondary school for at least one school term
Which are the eligible universities for overseas students?
- Academic Colleges Group (all campuses)
- Auckland English Academy
- Auckland Grammar School
- Auckland Institute of Studies
- Auckland International College
- Auckland University of Technology
- Auckland Wise Institute
- Avondale College
- Botany Downs Secondary School
- Burnside High School
- Christchurch College of English
- Christchurch Polytech Institute of Technology
- Cornell Institute of Business and Technology
- Crown Institute of Studies
- Eastern Institute of Technology (Napier, Gisborne and Auckland Campuses)
- English Language Academy (subsidiary of University of Auckland)
- Foundation Studies Ltd (Otago University Language Centre)
- Glendowie College
- Howick College
- ICL Education Ltd T/A ICL Business School
- Kaplan International Colleges
- Language Studies International (Auckland and Christchurch campuses)
- Lincoln University
- Macleans College
- Manukau Institute of Technology
- Marist College
- Massey University (Palmerston North, Auckland and Wellington Campuses)
- Middleton Grange College
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (Nelson and Auckland Campuses)
- New Zealand Institute of Education
- New Zealand Management Academies
- New Zealand School of Education
- North Shore International Academy
- Otago Polytechnic
- Pacific International Hotel Management School
- Papatoetoe High School
- Queens Academic Group
- Queenstown Resort College
- Rangitoto College
- Regent International Education Group
- St Peters College
- Takapuna Grammar School
- Taylors College
- Unique New Zealand
- Unitec New Zealand
- University of Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Waikato Institute of Technology
- Waiariki Institute of Technology
- Wellington Institute of Technology
- Western Institute of Technology
- Western Springs College
- Westlake Boys High School
- Westlake Girls High School
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic (Auckland and Wellington Campuses)
What courses can I study in New Zealand?
What is the difference between a visa and a permit?
Can I work in New Zealand with my student permit?
What do I need to apply to be able to work?
You do not need to have a job offer when applying for a variation of condition to your student permit to allow you to work during the academic year, but you must be enrolled in a full-time course of study that meets one of the criteria listed below:
- The course is at least two years long and you are studying at a private training establishment or tertiary institution;
- The course leads to a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points under the Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration New Zealand’s Residence Policy;
- The course is at least one academic year long and you are taking part in an approved tertiary exchange scheme;
- You are studying in Year 12 or Year 13 and you have written permission from your school and your parents;
- The course is at a private training establishment or tertiary institution, and the main purpose of the course is to develop English language skills. You must also have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above in the general academic module.
Who can I include in my New Zealand student visa application?
Do I have to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian?
Will I be eligible for publicly funded health care in New Zealand?
Can I work in New Zealand after I have completed my studies?
How do I apply for a work visa/permit under the Graduate Job Search Policy?
If you do not yet have a job offer, you may apply for a visa/permit under the Graduate Job Search Work Policy. Permits granted under this policy are valid for up to 12 months and allow you to work in a temporary job while you look for a job in your field. To be eligible for a work permit under our Graduate Job Search Policy you must:
- have successfully completed a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points under the Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration New Zealand’s Residence Policy;
- have recently finished your qualification, and apply no later than three months after the end date of your student permit for that qualification;
- show that you have at least NZ$2,100 to support yourself financially;
How much is the processing time for a NZ student visa?
Group Bookings for New Zealand Student Visa
In order to facilitate members of corporate teams, handling travel arrangement on behalf of entire groups of people, we built our website with a thought for their specific needs such as group booking, online tracking of multiple applications and detailed purchase reports.
If you are a corporate visa organizer we highly recommend getting regitered to make use of those features.
Get started for FREE
Our Specialists will immediately assess your case and come up with the options for your trip.
You are in Good Hands.
We organize more than 60k visas every year
Just a short note to thank everyone at Visa First for the very efficient and prompt way that you have processed Philip Derby's Russian visa. I will most certainly contact you again as requirements arise for various visa applications. Kind regards.
Thank you so much for granting me my working holdiay visa for Australia. I am so excited about visiting Australia and I have friends there already waiting to show me around. I am sure I am going to miss my family and friends over here, but this is a once in a life time opportunity for me. Thank you, Aaron O Hare
Cheers for all your help. I'd just like to say I have found visafirst very good people to do business with. Very helpful, fast and efficient. Thanks for returning my call at the time you said you would and for advising me on the pack for New Zealand which includes the bank account and IRD number. You have made my heading to New Zealand less stressfull. Much appreciated.
I just wanted to let you both know that today I received my UK YMS visa. I went to the Consulate General here in Duesseldolf, Germany, last Wednesday and so getting it back today was much quicker than I expected. Thanks for all your help with my application, and thanks to Visa First - much appreciated.
Dear Mike and Daisy, Just to let you know that I got my UK Ancestry visa today, valid for 5 years! It only took 5 days to be processed. You were very efficient and knowledgeable. Thank you so much for your friendly assistance. If I'm in your area, I'm going to bring you a box of chocolates :-) and will recommend your service.
Hello George, Thank You once again I will definitely recommend you to all my American friends, also in few months I will be back to get my mother in as a dependent parent which she is and once again want to say a big Thank You from my whole family for all the work done right!!!
Visafirst have a complete range of services to help people get sorted for their trip. See if you will need any of the below.
New Zealand Bank Account / New Zealand
Visa First makes sure you can start working and getting paid as soon as you get to New Zealand. We will organise your New Zealand bank account before you leave home which means you can transfer money in advance and access it as soon as you arrive....
New Zealand IRD Number / New Zealand
To work in New Zealand, you will need a New Zealand Tax Number – called an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number. Without an IRD number you will pay tax at the emergency rate of 48%. The Visa First NZ Taxsaver Pack gives you step-by-step instructions for getting your NZ IRD number fast so you can start earning and pay tax at the normal rate of 29%....
New Zealand SIM Card / New Zealand
A New Zealand SIM Card will give you the chance to have mobile phone access and internet access right from the start of your stay in New Zealand....
Other Suitable Visas
First things first - Let's get your visa
Submitting your web registration takes not more than a minute but the time we will save you may prove invaluable for your travel arrangements. Fill in your details and one of our representatives will contact you with all the information you need.Book Online