COVID-19 update: Due to COVID-19, Visa First’s Dublin office is closed to walk-ins. Document drop-off and passport collection appointments can be arranged by contacting Visa First via email at or phone at +353 1 878 3329. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

country background photo

New update! Our corporate portal that manages all visa and work permit applications for your current and future employees is now live

United Kingdom Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2)

Home / United Kingdom / United Kingdom Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2)

About the UK Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2)

General Information

The UK Skilled Worker visa (formerly known as General Work visa) enables individuals with specific qualifications, skills and experience to work in the United Kingdom for an approved sponsor company/employer in a skilled role/occupation.

This visa will last for up to 5 years. You can apply to extend your visa as many times as you like as long as you still meet the eligibility requirements.

After 5 years living and working in the United Kingdom, you might be eligible to apply to settle permanently (i.e. ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

You can apply for your visa up to 3 months before your travel.


In order to be eligible for this visa, applicants must score 70 points based on the criteria below:

  • You will score 20 points if you have a job offer from an approved sponsor (i.e. an employer who has a Sponsor license)
  • You will score 20 points if your job is at the appropriate skill level
  • You will score 10 points if you speak English at the required level
  • The other 20 points can be scored if you fulfil some additional requirements such as have a certain salary level, have a PhD and/or have a job that’s listed on the shortage occupation list

In order to apply for the UK Skilled Worker visa you will need:

  • A valid passport (your passport should have at least 6 months validity remaining and should have at least one blank page)
  • A job offer from an UK employer that has a Sponsor license
  • Your Certificate of sponsorship, assigned to you by your employer
  • A bank statement showing you have at least £1,270 in savings
  • Proof of your knowledge of English - Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider OR having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English OR having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English
  • Tuberculosis test results – if applicable
  • * Additional documents may be required depending on the case.
  • ** If your documents are not in English or Welsh, they should be accompanied by a certified translation.
UK Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2) Processing Time

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.


UK Skilled Worker Visa cost starts from

Apply Now

Related services

Complete range of services to help you get sorted for your trip


If you’re planning to travel, vacation or study abroad, it’s always a good idea to invest in adequate travel insurance. Travel insurance provides a priceless sense of peace-of-mind while you’re away from home. You never know when you might need it. And you can rest assured that, should the worst happen, you’ll be covered. At Visa First, we will ensure that you receive an insurance package that suits your particular travel needs – and all at an unbeatable price. Secure your Worldwide travel insurance today.

Apply Now

Money Jar

If you don’t have an Irish bank account or are unable to get one, the Money Jar Ireland e-current account could be the right account for you. It is designed to make opening a bank account easier for international employees applying to work in Ireland. You can open it and start using it anywhere in the world, even before you arrive in Ireland. Money Jar offers a fully functioning Irish digital current account with Virtual Debit Mastercard along with Apple pay & Google Pay.

Get Started

Stress free visa and work permit applications with Visa First

Apply Now

Other UK Visas That We Offer

UK Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5)

Want to live and work in the UK? With the YMS visa you can move to the UK for up to 2 years.

Read More

UK Seasonal Worker Visa (Tier 5)

This visa is suitable for for people, over 18, who wish to go the UK to do farm work for up to 6 months and who have a sponsor employer in the UK.

Read More

UK Ancestry visa

If you’re a commonwealth citizen and have a grandparent who was born in the UK you can apply for this Ancestry visa.

Read More

UK Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2)

This visa is for skilled individuals, who wish to work and live in the UK for up to 5 years and who have a sponsor employer in the UK.

Read More

Visa First – Getting you where you want to go!

Apply Now
CloseReturn home CloseClose

Our Visa Service is available in:

Couldn't find your Visa? - Contact Us Now

Travel the World with Visa First - easy, fast and convenient!