Essential Tips for Working in Australia

journal with tips for starting a new job

Do you want to work in Australia?

Australia is one of the best destinations to find a job or take a gap year.

It’s been a favourite destination for backpackers since forever because of its infinite natural beauty and inviting working holiday visa program.

If you are looking for a career challenge in a country of almost unlimited opportunities, OZ should be your first choice because the demand for qualified overseas workers in most sectors is strong.

There are truly thousands of job opportunities on a working holiday program in Australia.

You’ll be able to work while you travel and extend your vacation up to two years, giving you plenty of time to discover this magnificent continent.

Even though it’s more expensive, the pay rates are higher too. Australia’s average salary is one of the highest in the world.

In some particular sectors, the weekly wage could be the same as the monthly pay in Ireland or the UK. It’s worthwhile to think about this!

If you’re considering a working holiday there, there are a few things to keep in mind.

To make the process easier for you we compiled our top tips for a working holiday in Australia.

Secure your visa in advance

Perhaps it is straightforward, but securing a working holiday visa in Australia is the first step.

There are two types of visas in the Working Holiday Program in Australia that you need to be aware of:

The Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa does not have additional educational requirements while the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa does. The needed minimum education varies depending on your country of origin.

After your visa is granted, you need to enter Australia within 12 months or the visa will expire. Once you do so, your visa will be valid for another 12 months from your initial entry date.

Also, keep in mind that you can start looking for a job before you get a visa but the chances you will get employment are much higher if you have sorted out your visa.

Read Also:
10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Applying For A Visa

If you complete at least 3 months of regional work, you might be eligible for a second visa. It’s recommended to get one before you exceed the age limit.

There is a lot of paperwork involved but the good news is that Visa First can help you with the entire visa process and save you time and stress.

Our visa specialists will handle your application from beginning to end, and will take care of the dreaded visa papers.

Simply, apply online for your Australian working holiday visa to continue your exciting adventures Down Under.

Submit a registration and a visa officer will call you to advise you about options.

Our team will also suggest some additional services that you will need.

  • Set up an Australian bank account for you.
  • Provide an Australian Employment Course to assist you to improve your chances of securing a job in Australia.
  • Our Taxsaver Pack will help you obtain an Australian Tax File Number (TFN), so that you can avoid emergency tax and make it easier to claim a tax refund!
  • Arrange accommodation at some of Australia’s best hostels.
  • Get your pre-paid Australian SIM card.

Check out our detailed article that explains the difference between the two types of Australian working holiday visas – subclass 417 and subclass 462.

Australian resume

Create an Australian resume / CV

The terms “resume” and “CV” in Australia refer to the same document.

The distinctions between an Australian resume and a CV that is acceptable in other countries may be slight, but if you don’t recognize them, you won’t receive any callbacks.

Here are some practical tips for writing an Australian resume:

  • Write a resume longer than 1 page. 2 pages might be sufficient if you don’t have a lot of experience but 3-5 pages are preferable.
  • Your Australian resume should be written in Australian English and your spelling – impeccable.
  • Do not include your photo, age, religion, or race
  • List your relevant work experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job and proceeding backwards.
  • Add any notable achievements that you might have.
  • Add a cover letter and explain in detail how you could add value to the company.

Start your job search online

You have two options. You can start your job search before you arrive online or after you land in Australia.

You can find a lot of vacancies online while still at home. Some of the most popular websites for job search are Gumtree, Seek, Jora, Indeed, Australian Government Job Search, and Career One. Gumtree is a good place to look for seasonal jobs.

Remember that some jobs in Australia, such as those on farms, are seasonal and only available for a period of the year.

For more information and job opportunities on-farm work, go to MADEC and the Harvest Trail website, then to Fruit Picking Jobs.

The Australian government has also put together a Harvest Guide for visitors who want to assist in the picking, harvesting, and gathering of production in Australia’s remote – yet beautiful – farming towns.

Limiting your search to short-term or contract positions, which are more likely to hire applicants on a working holiday visa, may be helpful when using these online job boards.

Some job postings, particularly in administration and hospitality, will specify their relevance to working holidaymakers.

Some of the most popular positions for backpackers are hotel/retail/restaurant workers, au pairs, administration assistants, fruit pickers (farm workers), boat crew, nursing, construction, and many others depending on your qualifications and experience.

You can also use the services of recruitment agencies. The Kingsmen, for instance, specialize in jobs for foreigners and working holidaymakers.

Don’t forget to search on social media and Facebook groups.

Get help from an Australian working holiday programme

An Australian working holiday support programme is a good solution if you are looking for ways to get help for your working holiday adventure.

They may also be able to assist you with finding accommodation, training, get you from the airport or find you a place to stay.

Get your trainings/certificates

If you work in the restaurant industry, hospitality, construction, or with children, you may need certificates or special training as a working holidaymaker. That being said, you need to check.

For example, If you want to secure a job in the hospitality industry or work in all places where alcohol is served or sold, you will need to get an RSA certificate.

It shows that you are aware of the regulations regarding the consumption of alcohol in Australia.

Despite the fact that most states/territories offer online training, you will not be able to complete the course before arriving in Australia.

Each territory has its own rules. In some cases, you must complete your training as soon as you begin working, while in some parts of the country, you will have a three-month grace period.

In Western Australia, training is not required.

It is recommended that you finish the course before looking for a job in the hospitality industry because it might increase your chances of finding employment.



Get a TFN

When you arrive in Australia and begin working, you will need to get a TFN number (Tax File Number).

This is a unique number that the ATO (Australian Tax Office) gives to you and it’s used for taxation and superannuation purposes.

You will need to provide your TFN when you start a new job and when you change employers.

You can use an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) to:

  • open a bank account in Australia
  • pay the right amount of tax (and not pay the additional emergency tax)
  • apply for government benefits that are applicable for you
  • lodge an Australian tax return (If you have any income from Australian sources, you will have to file a tax return, even as a foreign resident)
  • claim an Australian tax refund
  • join the Australian superannuation fund (super)

As mentioned above, our specialists can help you get an Australian TFN.

Set up a bank account

You will have to create an Australian bank account because most employers don’t pay into foreign ones. You can set up one before or after you land in Australia.

Check what documents (passport, prior bank statements, visa, etc.) you’ll need to open it before you arrive.

If you wait more than six weeks after landing in OZ, you will need additional papers such as a credit card, birth certificate or driver’s license.

Visa First’s specialists can help you to set up an Australian bank account for you.

Australian tax refund

Understand superannuation

Employers in Australia are required to contribute a proportion of an employee’s income to a retirement fund known as superannuation or super.

As a foreigner, you will also have to do it. You can claim back your superannuation after departure from Australia. has 20+ experience and is a global leader in international income tax refund services.

Their tax experts will do the work and you can get back your superannuation.

Get your tax back

When your working holiday visa expires or you quit working, you must file a mandatory tax return.

The good news is that you might be eligible for an Australian tax refund.

The average Australian tax refund with the help of is around $2,600. Good times!

Their tax experts will take care of the whole process (file your tax return and claim your tax refund), and you don’t have to stress over the complicated tax documents. Just leave it to the professionals. It’s a convenient online service.

They will also ensure that you avail of every expense and relief you’re entitled to, and you will get back your Australian tax refund straight to your bank account anywhere in the world.

Because the amount of tax deducted can be significant, it’s critical that you don’t leave your money at the tax office.

To check out how much money you can get back, use their FREE Australian online tax calculator.

Take out health insurance

Having both travel and health insurance is recommended because medical treatment in Australia can be costly.

The Australian government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with the United Kingdom, Belgium, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Malta, Slovenia, Italy, New Zealand, and the Republic of Ireland, which gives you access to limited health services.

You can also choose private health insurance for your needs. Visa First’s team can help you with this.

a group of working holidaymakers

Who are we?

Visa First is at the forefront of the visa and immigration services, with over 17 years of experience, and our experts organize over 9,000 visas every year.

We know that obtaining a visa can be a time-consuming and stressful task. This is where we can assist you.

After you apply for your Australian working holiday visa a visa officer will call you to advise you.

Please, note that Australian working holiday visas (subclass 417 and subclass 462) can be extended, so if you are not ready to leave Australia and would like to continue exploring it, you can apply for your visa extensions!

Our team can handle the entire visa procedure and paperwork from start to end, and a dedicated account manager will be available to answer any questions you may have.

*Updated On: 18.03.2022


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.