Moving to Australia


No matter if you are planning to go to Australia as a Working Holidaymaker, to work under the business sponsor visa (457 subclasses) or to migrate permanently, you need to plan everything in advance. So, where to start?

Make a Plan

If you’ve made your mind to travel overseas, it’s good to discuss your plans with your family and friends including those already departed to destination country. Then, try to find all your personal paperwork, including birth certificates, marriage certificates, employment references, driving licences, qualification certificates etc. These might be required at some stage of your visa application.

You also need to make sure your passport is valid and not expiring soon. Get quotes for flights and be ready to book a flight once your visa is granted. Then try to get your finances in order – paying any outstanding debts or destroying unwanted cards. Update your CV for the Australian employers. If you are planning to migrate with your kids, speak to them about the big decision and arrange schools in advance.

Children of skilled migrants are exempt from overseas student fees. Once you get the visa, you’re on the final stage! It’s time to give your employer a formal notice, to transfer more funds if needed, to book flights and think of your first days in Australia.

VisaFirst can organize accommodation, Australian SIM card and Australian Tax File number for you fast and hassle-free.

If you are coming to Australia as an overseas student or a working holidaymaker, TravelToWork can open an Australian bank account for you, so you can transfer funds before you go and avoid your exposure to currency exchange rates.

The minimum amount that you might be required to evidence at the port of entry is AU$5,000, which is perhaps an over-caution, but it’s good to have enough to maintain your stay for the first few weeks over there.

Melbourne skyline from St.Kilda

Melbourne is named the world’s most liveable city!

Cost of Living

The consumer, rent and groceries prices in Sydney are higher than those in Dublin but the Local purchasing power in Australia is higher compared to Ireland. While it’s comparatively cheaper in Sydney compared to London – you’ll need around 7,000 A$ (3,800 GBP) in Sydney to maintain the same standard as you can have with 4,000 GBP in London.

Australian Cost of Living Chart (2014)

Accommodation (monthly rent in a good area)
Furnished two-bedroom houseAUD 1,100
Unfurnished two-bedroom houseAUD 1,080
Furnished two-bedroom apartmentAUD 1,250
Unfurnished two-bedroom apartmentAUD 950
Food and Drink
Milk (1 litre)AUD 3.50
Cheese  (500g)AUD 6
Dozen EggsAUD 4
White BreadAUD 3
Rice   (1 kg)AUD 2
Pack of CigarettesAUD 12
Mobile call rate (per minute – mobile to mobile)AUD 0.89
Internet (Uncapped ADSL or Cable – the average per month)AUD 80
Electricity (average per month for a standard household)AUD 90
Telephone line (monthly rental)AUD 22
Restaurants, Entertainment & Health
Three-course dinner in a restaurantAUD 55
A cup of coffee in bar/cafeAUD 4
Beer in barAUD 5
Coca Cola (500 ml)AUD 3
Public Transportation
Taxi rate per kmAUD 3
City centre bus fareAUD 3.50
Petrol per litreAUD 1.62

Tax Rates

The tax rate for working holidaymakers is 29%. If you work there without a tax file number you’ll be taxed at 46.5%. If you get our Tax Saver pack, we’ll start organizing your Tax file number before you leave home so you’ll be able to work immediately upon arrival and pay lower tax rate. You can claim part of your taxes paid back.

Ninety per cent of our working holiday makers get average refunds of AU$2,500. Contact for more information on how to do this.

Working Holiday Visa – the most popular Australian visa

The Australian Working Holiday visa is a 12-month visa for people between 18-30 years old who want to holiday and work casually.

In order to get that visa, you should not have serious criminal or health conditions, you shouldn’t take any children with you, you shouldn’t have been on a WHM visa before.

Under the Working Holiday visa, you can take any job you want to sustain your stay there but you can’t work with one employer for more than 6 consecutive months. You can leave and re-enter Australia for as many times as you wish within the validity of the visa.

If you want to exceed the 12-month period of your visa duration, you need to apply for a Second Working holiday visa.

In order to qualify you have done at least 3 months of specific work (construction, harvest, agricultural) in regional Australia. You can apply for your Second-year visa from in or outside Australia.

The Working Holiday scheme was launched back in 1975 for three countries only – Canada, the UK and Ireland. Now, there are 16 other countries participating in the scheme and more than 210,300 people who entered Australia on a first Working Holiday scheme in 2012/2013.

Bon, voyage and enjoy Down Under!

Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today.

 If you enjoyed this post, please share 🙂


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *