Youth Mobility Scheme – Tier 5 Visa for the UK

Youth Mobility Scheme is the new name of the UK Working Holiday Scheme. Requirements remain nearly the same. A point-based system applies. You must score 50 points to be able to apply. You get 30 points if you are a citizen of one of the following countries – Australia, Japan, Canada, or New Zealand.

Another 10 points are awarded if you meet the age criteria (18-31). If you cover these requirements you can score another 10 points if you prove that you have at least £1,600, or their equivalent.

One of our customers was a bit confused about the right visa she is after. After 15 minutes of chat with one of our representatives, she was able to take the proper actions and begin the process right away.

  • Karen: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today?
  • Nadia: I’m wanting to apply for the youth mobility visa. I don’t know if its temporary worker or youth mobility migrant I’m after?
  • Karen: Hi Nadia, how old are you and when do you intend to travel?
  • Nadia: I’m 25, leaving on the 17th of January.
  • Karen: OK, and how much funds do you have available?
  • Nadia: $8000 savings so far.
  • Karen: Great! Can I take your name and date of birth, please?
  • Nadia: Nadia *****, **/**/****
  • Karen: And what’s your home address, contact number and email address
  • Nadia: 15/ 178 ******** Street B******** 0407009313, *******
  • Karen: And can you get a bank statement with 3 months of transactions history? Original one?
  • Nadia: Can I copy from Internet banking?
  • Karen: If on the bank statement there are the following details:
  • Karen: Your name
  • Karen: Account number
  • Karen: Financial institution name and logo
  • Karen: Date of the statement
  • Karen: And the Internet copy should be accompanied with a supporting letter from your bank on company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statement provided.
  • Karen: And also the stamp of the bank should appear on all the pages of the statement
  • Nadia: Okay, I can get but not right away… Once I get that what next?
  • Karen: You need to send us the application form with all the required documents by fax or scan and email them back to us.
  • Nadia: Are you able to email me the new application form?
  • Karen: We need to make some changes as the requirements were published today. Can I send it to you a little bit later?
  • Nadia: Yes. How long before I leave should I lodge it? Am I running out of time?
  • Karen: Well you need to apply as soon as possible as it will take at about 6 weeks. Did you already book a flight?
  • Nadia: Yes
  • Karen: OK, and when will you be able to have your bank statement ready?
  • Nadia: By Wednesday.
  • Karen: OK, in such case would you please contact me back on Wednesday – you can fax me the documents on our Australian fax number 02 8088 7415 for the attention of Karen Collins.
  • Nadia: That should be fine. So the only documents needed are the bank statements?
  • Karen: You also need to send me a copy of your passport with pictures. The picture should be less than 6 months old. I will send you all the information in the email and it will be on the application form. We only need to confirm some details with the Immigration authorities.
  • Nadia: So, if my passport picture is more than 6 months old I need another pic?
  • Karen: Yes
  • Nadia: Do I just fax a copy of passport?
  • Karen: Yes – we only need copies of the documents to check if everything is OK.
  • Nadia: Cool
  • Karen: And then you need to send original documents to the British High Commission
  • Nadia: Okay
  • Karen: Talk to you soon Nadia
  • Nadia: Thank you!
  • Karen: Have a nice evening!

The Youth Mobility Scheme is new and many people who have applied under the old categories might get worried. If you have applied before 27 November and you still don’t have your visa granted you have nothing to worry about. You should be covered by the transitional agreements. If you have a similar case and don’t know how to proceed, just drop us a line at and we will get back to you as soon as possible.


contactez moi

Exceptional post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Many thanks!

Hi there, Im applying for my Tier 5 YMV and im in the process of finding out where i can have my Biometrics taken in Australia. Could you list the Biometric offices in Australia? Regards Josh

hey i want to apply for a work youth visa, my only problem is i want to travel through europe for roughly 8-9months before taking it up.. i fly to london first then travel on through europe.. will my visa start as soon as i fly in to london or will it start when i want to start working after traveling??? thanks

I am in the process of applying for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and I meet all the requirements. I have my application all filled out and saved up until the payment, as well as having photos, photocopies and a bank statement on hand. I'm wondering how long it will take to get my Visa as I leave for the UK on January 7th. Thanks Joel.

Hi there, a question that it seems no embassy can answer is this: if i am an australian citizen, i have been told that i can be in canada and still apply for the youth mobility visa for the UK. the only information that i have been able to CONFIRM is that yes i can as long as i am allowed to as long as it is in the capacity other than short term. so the question is simply, DOES the working holiday visa count as "other than short term" i am very dissapointed as nobody has been able to give me a YES or NO. any help is much appreciated. please please let me know ASAP

My husband, 18 year old daughter and I are brits returning to the UK after 10 years in NZ. We are bringing her kiwi boyfriend who has an application in for the youth mobility scheme. We sent it on 22nd April, no word yet and we have to confirm $40 thousand worth of travel in the next 24 hours - what do we do? Canberra don't give progress reports, there is no office in New Zealand to talk to - what should I do?? I am really desperate for some advice.

Once you are granted a T5 Visa, how long do you have to use it? Do you need to leave your home country within a specific period of time?

how long does it take to be issued a visa?

My daughter needs a visa,as she has been accepted to AuPair in the UK. How do we apply?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *